
Was supposed to make this project with a friend, but she's out of town and I just couldn't wait anymore. Worst part of it was waiting for paint to dry, or glue to dry. I'm not the most patient person on this here earth.
This was all the ingredients - or so I thought. Didn't end up using the round wooden "plaques". Guess I'll return those to Hobby Lobby for the big $.50 ea that they cost me. Not even worth the gas for a return trip all on its own though, huh? 3 glass jars, $4.59 a piece I think at Hobby Lobby, but on sale 50% off last week. Used 40% coupons on the 3 wooden "toppers". Oh, and also 3 metal letters were 50% off a few weeks back. All in all, about a $14 project?
Found unwanted candlesticks at the Wayside Christian Mission Bargain Center to re-purpose. Too bad it wasn't "Bric Brac" day or they would have been 50% off. They hold that once a week I think, but did I mention that I'm not a patient person! Plus, at $1 each (approx), I didn't mind helping the cause. AND, they are thicker and taller than the $2.99 unfinished ones at the craft stores. The hardest part was getting out the metal candle holder, ended up using needle-nose pliers. But to get the top surface level, it was a necessary step.

I probably should have used primer on the silver plastic lids of the glass jars. But my can of primer is at the in-laws house to use on a bed for my daughter, and I wanted this project complete in an hour. Did you already forget the IMPATIENT part of my personality though? Dang you are forgetful! ;-)

And I just lined up all the wood and went to town. No primer again. Might regret that later, but will deal with it then I guess.

Final touches were simply to use some glue and put the painted finial or egg or ball to the middle of the jar lid. And then the candlestick to the center of the glass jar. The metal letters I bought at Hobby Lobby, and I'm not loving the font since the O's look kind of like C's. I've since rotated the swirl a little to the top to help that some. And these are sitting on my hearth.
Bought the candy corn from Kroger at $1/bag - took 4 bags to fill. The saltwater taffy also from Kroger on clearance for $.50/bag, so $1.50 there with leftovers. And the dozen or so Butterfingers...........drumroll please............. are free right now with a coupon that's actually IN the Kroger stores (if Ella Grace didn't take the whole pad from YOUR store too). So it looks like I'm a big spender in candy, but not at all! lol And no, the kids haven't yet asked to take any candy out - that's the most AMAZING part of this whole story, lemme tell ya!
Oh, and the idea was totally inspired from the super smart ladies over at Santy2Chic's blog.
So this is my version I guess. I can already see the candy changed over to silver Hershey kisses and M&M's and Hershey miniatures for Christmas with the word JOY (yes, I bought the J and Y already! lol). And then for Thanksgiving just fill with mini pumpkins instead. How cute would that be? Don't even need a word on the outside.
Can use the Cricut to cut hearts, and fill with red hot cinnamon candies for Valentine's Day come February? Oooh, and Easter! The possibilities here! Love it! (our dentist bill is about to double I imagine. lol)
Til next time!
2 comments:
hahah! I totally made those last week too! I Think we read the same blogs... and we are way more alike than I ever knew. Why don't we hang out more often?
I've had more compliments on those things! Wish my pics came out better, cause they are cuter in person as you well know! Too bad the idea wasn't original - but I love to copy cute ideas from blogworld!
Post a Comment